We know we’re a little behind on getting information in your hands – we’re sorry about that and we appreciate that you’re bearing with us.
That said, I don’t think you could find a group more excited about this year’s Rocktoberfest. We’re really hoping to making this one the best event yet. The mortgage on the Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve is so close to being paid off and we’re really hoping to make this another strong push towards finishing off that payment. But we can do that only with the help from our amazing community, sponsors, and donors! That’s the whole point of Rocktoberfest – to get everyone together, have an amazing party, and work towards the goals we’ve all set out before us.
So, with all that, let’s get to the meaty parts..
..but before we actually get to those bits, I can’t emphasize this enough – pre-registering will save you cash! The quick and dirty pricing breakdown:
|Friday access: $7 (it will be $10 at the door)
Saturday Comp: $15
Saturday Access: $13 (will be $15 at the door)
Dinner: $6 (will be $7 at the door)
|Event Shirt: $10 (will be $15 at the door)
This year’s Rocktoberfest will be in the same spot as the past few years – at the Natural Bridge Campgrounds. To get there, head to the Red as you normally might and get off of the Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway at exit 33. Turn in to the rest area and then take an immediate left. If you get to the rest area, we should have enough signs and be making enough noise to get the point across to where exactly we’ll be. So “rest” easy
This is a rough map of this year’s Rocktoberfest location.
- We’re not sure if you’re ready to handle it but.. crate stacking is back. With the help of Detroit Rock Climbing Company and JH Lanmark, crate stacking will be around Friday and Saturday nights. We’re going to try to work in some exciting twists (head-to-head comps, for example) and folks from both companies are ponying up with some awesome prizes.
- Again, we’re changing things up a little this year. And that means that we’ll be showing a feature film Friday night – Chuck Fryberger’s The Scene. We’ll start the screening around 7:30pm or 8pm, depending on the sun and light, and we hope to see your doey-eyed, star-struck faces in the audience.
- Cletus will be hitting up the speakers with his turn-table, DJ’ing the scene through the evening.
- All weekend Sterling Ropes will be running their Rope Recycling Program. So, instead of tossing that old rope, toss it in Sterling’s box and be eligible to win a brand new one. That’s some recycling you can really believe in!
- Keen, with their stellar and long-lasting love for the RRGCC, will be selling their shoes, Men’s Obsidian and Women’s Red Rocks, for $50. And because they love the RRGCC, they’re giving that full $50 straight to the RRGCC.
- If the temperatures turn south a bit, Outdoor Research has graced us with some custom beanies. Pick up two for $20 (or one for $15) and it all goes to the Coalition.
- Don’t have too much fun Friday if you want to have a shot at winning the Black Diamond sponsored Clip-n-Go Climbing Comp in the PMRP. Yes, you are special so the PMRP is yours while you pull down and try to win some of the best gear BD has to offer. Be sure to pre-register for the comp.. if you forget, though, show up Saturday morning at the venue and leave time to arrive at the comp start, 9am and it will wrap up around 4pm. We will be offering a shuttle to the PMRP but it’s first-come, first-serve with only a few open seats.
- Not feeling the most confident about your shoes but you’re just not ready to drop the cash on a pair you haven’t field tested? Well this weekend is your lucky weekend! Head to Miguel’s at 9am to check out the shoe demo being held by Evolv, 5.10, and Sportiva
- You might not look at the Red and think, “Cajun!” After Saturday’s dinner, though, you will. Bourbon n’ Toulouse will again be supplying us with some of the most amazing food this side of the Bourbon Street. Check out their menu or just look below for what we’ll be serving. Notice, we do have gluten-free options! Supper hits the table around 6pm.. so don’t work that project so hard you miss the food you need for a proper recovery. And bring your own bowl or expect the intense hazing that will ensue!
- Jamabalaya – Meaty, Gluten-Free
- Red Beans with Smoked Sausage – Meaty, Gluten-Free
- Cajun Red Chili – Meaty, Gluten-Free
- Artichoke and Parmesan Cream with Mushrooms – Veggie
- Black Beans and Caramelized Corn – Veggie, Gluten-Free
- Vegan Black Beans – Vegan, Gluten-Free
- While you’re munching and dinning, your ears will be soaking in tasty tunes from local group “Son of a Widow”.
- Crate stacking will be fully featured again, again with amazing prizes and even better stunts/comps.
- Like I said, we’re trying to change things up this year. We’ll be showing some short films from local producers like Sean Stewart. That and we’re going to keep things light with a few other videos.
- Thanks to our very generous sponsors, we’ll be running our silent aution. This is your chance to get your dream gear at your dream prices.. and all of the proceeds go to the RRGCC. Everyone wins.. that is, of course, if you win.
- Hope you’ve been working on those quads a little, or at least your burst strength, because you’ll have to bring your A-game to have a shot in this year’s Dyno Comp, brought to us by RockSport. Make sure you show up for the qualifiers that go from 7pm to 8pm. You’ll need to be in for those if you want a shot at the big prizes from 8:30pm to 9:30pm.
- It’d be a little ridiculous if you were still hungry after dinner but, if you are, Marmot and Keen will be grillin’ some dogs. Throw down a few dollars donation and tasty dogs are all yours
- We’re also going to have professional clinics taught by some of the sport’s best athletes. Stop by the registration desk for more information on what clinics are open and where and when they’ll be held. Below is a list of available clinics:
- Beginners – Burl Like a Girl
- Advanced – Elite Climbing
- Beginners/Intermediate – Multipitch Efficiency
- Intermediate – Intermediate Sport & Redpointing
- Beginners – Intro to Trad
- Beginners/Intermediate – Warrior’s Way
- Beginners/Intermediate – Footwork & Technique
- DSLR 101 (half-day)
- Off Camera Lighting 101 (half-day)
- I’m sure you all will be waking up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Sunday morning without the least bit of fog between those ears of yours. If you don’t, though, the Solid Rock Climbers For Christ will be around again to serve up coffee and all the tasty trappings of a homemade breakfast. Be sure to drop in a little love – they donate all the proceeds to the RRGCC. That and anyone that wakes up that early to help make you breakfast deserves a little thanks and a proper smile.
Now that you have the full scoop.. what are you waiting for?!
Also, we’re going to take a moment and give a special “thank you” to our Rocktoberfest sponsors. They’re here for all of us, making Rocktoberfest happen behind the scenes, adding schwag and fun times, and helping us secure access throughout the area.